Winter inevitably comes and brings with it snow drifts, blizzards, icy winds, and freezing fog, and this prompts us to think in advance about making the trip as smooth as possible. Winter is the time of New Year's fairy tales, snowmen, sledding or skating and pleasant evenings with mulled wine in front of the fireplace. The second thesis sounds more appealing, doesn't it? Read on to learn more about winter car rental tips and going on an exciting adventure.
1. PACK THINGS FOR EMERGENCIES
Anyone can get into trouble on the winter road, and so tips for car rental should include contingencies. Thus, in case of getting into a snow drift, it is better to take with you such things as:
- scraper (for clearing ice on flat surfaces);
- shovel (to unblock the car from the snow);
- flashlights (at night is what you need);
- battery or inverter (to support the heating system, radio and other communications);
- ropes (for pulling and maintaining);
- medicines in a first aid kit (in case of medical assistance and most often these are bandages, antiseptics, blood-stopping medicine and others);
- stock of bottled water (for the possibility of a long stay);
- a set of tools (for rapid repairs);
- supply (usually canned food and other foods with a long shelf life, including dried fruits, nuts, sweets, some semi finished products);
- skis or sledges (to be able to move in deep snow cover).
These things are sure to help you and possibly save your life. You should not rely on the fact that the car will be fully adapted to the winter weather, so renting a car must also, take into account, your foresight for various contingencies.
2. DO NOT NEGLECT TO INSPECT THE ORDERED VEHICLE
Choosing the best option out of the proposed proposals budget car rental should take into account the real state of the car, namely: the presence of additional sets of tires, the state of the wipers, the work of headlights, and better to ask in advance about the last inspection with the results of diagnosis. In general, you should rely on proven options, that is, those models of cars to which you are accustomed and buy which will certainly be a successful trip. It is better to have a person by your side during the trip who can help you and overcome any problems.
3. SPARE TIME IS THE KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL PLANNED ROUTE
It is important to carefully plan your entire route from start to finish, taking into account possible traffic jams, deteriorating weather conditions, gasoline consumption, and opportunities for rest in a café or restaurant. This is essential in order to arrive at your destination on time. Therefore, when looking for offers for cheap car rental, you should take into account not only the technical characteristics of the car, but also plan your time rationally.
4. INCREASE YOUR CONFIDENCE ON THE ROAD WITH A DRIVING COURSE
Thanks to a special winter driving course program, you can significantly improve your driving skills and avoid undesirable driving situations. Such courses include practicing driving in icy road conditions as well as maneuvering through snow drifts, i.e. in difficult conditions. While such skills are certainly useful, they cannot guarantee a 100% safe trip. Another piece of advice when choosing options for car rental is that by no means accelerate the car, and drive as cautiously and calmly as possible to prevent emergencies. It is better to drive like a turtle than to have an accident.
5. TRY TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE CAR RENTAL SERVICE
Before you go on a trip, look carefully at the terms of your insurance policy, and choosing a budget rental car is certainly worth keeping in touch with the car rental support service. In case of unforeseen situations, it is here where you can get advice and assistance or even compensation, which cannot fail to please.
Keep in mind that all of these tips will benefit you only if you actually put them into practice. We guarantee that if you follow these recommendations, your trip will go properly and even severe frosts and snowstorms will not interfere with your plans. However, it is worth saying that the main tips for successful travel in difficult weather conditions (snowstorms, icy and low temperatures) is to stay in constant contact with the support service of the car rental company and stock up on medicines, long non-perishable food, water and batteries. Therefore, take this article to heart and travel safely this winter!