- Vegetarian diets are gaining popularity as they offer a bunch of health benefits.
- These diets exclude meat and derive nutrition from plant-based foods like vegetables, fruits, grains, and pulses. Some vegetarian diets exclude milk and eggs too.
- Switching to a vegetarian diet may reduce your risk of hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, and Type-2 diabetes.
- A vegetarian diet can also help you lose weight quickly, provided you make the right food choices.
- Vegetarian meals that are high in plant proteins and low in refined carbs, sugar, and fats can help with weight loss.
- Portion control, calorie restriction, and weight loss supplements can be other useful tools for vegetarians to lose weight.
The popularity of vegetarianism has grown exponentially in recent times. With increased awareness about the environmental burden of the meat industry, many individuals are turning vegetarian. Apart from the eco-friendly aspects of a vegetarian diet, it is also considered less inflammatory and more suitable for weight loss.
While many vegetarian foods are a healthier alternative to meats, weight loss on a vegetarian diet is not guaranteed. You would still need to make the right food choices, exercise daily, and possibly use the best weight loss supplements.
This is because vegetarian foods can also be calorie-dense, leading to weight gain while offering minimal nutrition. Therefore, you must identify healthy vegetarian options and avoid potentially fattening foods.
What Are The Types Of Vegetarian Diets?
A vegetarian diet excludes all types of meat and is focused on plant-based foods. There are several variations of vegetarianism that fall within this broad definition.
Here are some of the most popular types of vegetarian diets:
- Lacto-vegetarian diet – Allows dairy products and plant-derived foods
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet – Allows dairy products, eggs, and plant-derived foods
- Ovo-vegetarian diet – Allows eggs and plant-derived foods
- Vegan diet – Allows only plant-derived foods and excludes all animal-derived products like dairy, honey, and eggs
These different types of vegetarian diets largely focus on deriving nutrition from plant products like fruits, vegetables, nuts, pulses, and grains. Studies indicate that a vegetarian diet may reduce the risk of obesity, Type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension. However, you will have to consume a well-balanced, low-fat vegetarian diet to reap these health benefits.
9 Easy Tips For Weight Loss On A Vegetarian Diet
- Count Your Calories – One of the best weight loss tips for vegetarians is to count their calories. You may feel that vegetarian food is much lighter than non-vegetarian food, but some vegetarian options can be calorie-dense too. Keep a check on the number of calories you are consuming in each meal. If you are trying to lose weight, keep your calorie intake below your daily calorie expenditure.
- Consume Plant Proteins – Consuming a high-protein diet encourages faster weight loss because proteins offer sustained energy for longer durations. Tofu, lentils, and chickpeas are some excellent sources of plant proteins that you can try. Along with a high-protein diet, you can also consume weight loss supplements like Keto GT for faster fat metabolism. This combination can help you lose excess weight quickly!
- Eat Unprocessed Foods – Processed foods often contain hidden ingredients like fats, salt, or sugar that you may not expect. Also, the nutritional value of the base ingredients goes down when they are heavily processed. Try to switch to unprocessed or homemade alternatives for sauces, bread, juices, and other foods you consume regularly. Pair these healthier options with any of the best weight loss supplements for even faster results.
- Consume Nuts Judiciously – Nuts are a popular vegetarian snack high in nutrients. However, they are also calorie-dense and can cause weight gain if you consume too many. So, limit your intake to 1-2 servings a day, where one serving of nuts is a quarter cup. This way you will be able to enjoy the nutritional benefits of nuts without adding extra pounds.
- Consider Weight Loss Supplements – Even with a healthy vegetarian diet, you may face a plateau in your weight loss journey. To kickstart your fat metabolism in such a scenario, you can try a weight loss supplement. For example, K3 Spark Mineral is a supplement that provides ketone bodies for energy. When the body is low in glucose, it utilizes these ketone bodies that encourage faster burning of fat. Truvy reviews are mixed, but some consumers found it useful for losing weight. So, you can try this product if you want to lose weight quickly on a vegetarian diet.
- Eat More Vegetables – According to studies, a vegetarian diet can lead to certain nutrient deficiencies. These include a deficiency of Vitamin B12, Calcium, Selenium, and Zinc. To compensate for this, you need to include plant sources of these nutrients in your diet. Spinach, beetroot, alfalfa, mushroom, and some leafy greens are good sources of these micronutrients. Plus, these vegetables will encourage faster weight loss as they are low in calories.
- Balance Your Portions – The rules of portion control and balanced meals apply to a vegetarian diet as well. Reduce the portion size of carbohydrates, fats, and starchy vegetables and consume larger portions of plant protein and fiber. This will allow you to control your calorie intake without compromising on nutrition. Furthermore, you can complement this balanced meal with a supplement like Keto GT, which will encourage your body to burn fat quickly.
- Skip Dessert – One of the well-known weight loss tips is to skip dessert, and it holds true for a vegetarian diet as well. Most desserts are high in sugar and fats that can lead to rapid weight gain. Instead, satisfy your sweet cravings with fibrous fruits that offer nutritional benefits to the body. You can also consume desserts made with artificial sweeteners, but make sure to keep a check on their fat content.
- Consume Less Dairy – If you follow a Lacto-vegetarian diet, make sure to control your daily dairy portions. In particular, avoid consuming large portions of cheese as it is usually loaded with calories. Also, dairy can cause bloating in some individuals, which can look like weight gain. So, consume dairy products only in small portions, provided your body can tolerate them.
Vegetarian Foods To Avoid On A Weight Loss Diet
- Starchy vegetables – Starchy vegetables like corn, white potato, and sweet potato are high in carbs, and should be consumed in lesser quantities. Go for non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Cheese and full-fat milk – Cheese and full-fat milk have a higher fat content that can contribute to weight gain. Replace them with low-fat dairy or plant milk.
- Refined carbs – Refined carbs found in cakes, bread, and cookies are low in fiber and nutrients and high in calories. Replace them with whole grains and unprocessed snacks.
- Sugary foods – Avoid sugary drinks, snacks, and desserts as these are loaded with calories with negligible nutrients. Fruits are a healthier dessert option for you.
The Bottom Line – Be Smart About Your Vegetarian Diet For Faster Weight Loss!
A vegetarian diet is a healthy and eco-friendly option in which you derive nutrition from vegetables, fruits, legumes, and grains instead of animal products. A well-balanced vegetarian diet can minimize the risk of cardiovascular diseases and Type-2 diabetes. Moreover, you can shed your excess weight when you opt for the right vegetarian food options.
Some of the best ways to lose weight on a vegetarian diet include consuming more non-starchy vegetables and plant proteins, avoiding refined carbs and sugar, and practicing portion control. Additionally, a weight-loss supplement could help you burn fat quickly. According to some Truvy reviews, this supplement may help you in your weight loss journey.
So, if you are following a vegetarian diet, do not assume that all plant-based foods will help with weight loss! Try these tips for a healthy vegetarian diet that helps you lose excess weight.