If you are looking for insulation in your home, there is a good chance that fiberglass will be one of your options. Fiberglass insulation is popular for its low cost, energy efficiency, and environmental benefits.
However, choosing an insulation material is not as simple as picking the material that is the least expensive or that has the most energy-saving potential. Many factors will affect your decision, including the type of building, the climate in your area, and your budget.
By taking the time to consider these factors, you will be in a better position to choose the fiberglass insulation that best meets your needs. Here, we will take a closer look at some of the factors you should consider when choosing a type of fiberglass insulation for your home.
What Type Of Building Are You Installing In?
The first step in choosing your fiberglass insulation is determining which type of building you are installing it in. This will affect the types of insulation materials that will work best for your building.
For example, insulating a crawl space under a home is different than insulating the walls of a house. Because the needs of each building are different, you will need to choose a different type of insulation for each one. Here are the main types of buildings you are likely to install fiberglass insulation in:
- Attics: The most common location to install fiberglass insulation is in the attics. The insulation is usually installed between the attic floor joists to prevent heat from escaping through the ceiling. This type of insulation comes in both rolls and panels, making it easy to blanket the entire area under your attic roof.
- Walls: In homes that were built before the 1970s, the walls in your home likely have no insulation in them. Adding fiberglass insulation to your walls effectively prevents heat loss and reduces your monthly heating costs. This type of insulation is available in both roll and panel form, making it simple to cover large areas quickly.
- Crawl Spaces: Another common location for fiberglass insulation is under the floor of a crawl space. With properly installed fiberglass insulation, this area can be insulated to keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. This type of insulation comes in roll form and is relatively easy to install yourself.
Types Of Fiberglass Insulation To Choose From
Once you have determined what building you are installing fiberglass insulation in, the next step is to choose between different insulation materials. Here are the most common types of fiberglass insulation to choose from:
- Batt Insulation: As the name suggests, this type of insulation is made up of rectangular pieces of material that are rolled up and inserted into the walls of your home.
- This is the most common type of insulation used in homes and provides a moderate level of thermal protection. Rolled fiberglass is the most common type of rolled batt insulation sold today. It comes in various thicknesses and widths to accommodate a wide range of wall space.
- Blown-in Insulation: This type of insulation consists of loose fibers of fiberglass that are blown into a space between the wall studs using a blower or compressed air system. It is often used in homes that are being remodeled because it is easy to add to an existing wall without being noticed. While it is not as effective at insulating as other types of insulation, it is still an effective means of keeping your home warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
- Loose-Fill Insulation: This is one of the most common types of insulation today because it can be used in many different applications. It is typically made of fiberglass wool, cellulose, or other natural materials like recycled denim. It can be installed in both new and existing buildings to create a more comfortable indoor environment. Loose-fill insulation is easy to install because it does not require the use of a blower or a compressor.
Small spaces such as attics and crawlspaces are perfect places to install fiberglass insulation because of the easy access. If your home or property is not properly insulated, you could see a drastic decrease in heating and cooling costs.
Contact a company in your area that specializes in insulation installation to find out how you can make your home or business more energy efficient. Do your research and ask for a company you can trust to get the job done right.
You can also go online and search for reviews about the company you have in mind to help you choose a reputable contractor. With proper insulation installation, you will be able to reduce your energy bills and make your home a more comfortable place to live.
You may interested – The Popularity of SQM Club